Analyze specifications, lay out metal stock, set up and operate machine tools, and fit and assemble parts to make and repair dies, cutting tools, jigs, fixtures, gauges, and machinists’ hand tools
Summary of essential job functions
- Study blueprints, sketches, models, or specifications to plan sequences of operations for fabricating tools, dies, or assemblies.
- Verify dimensions, alignments, and clearances of finished parts for conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments such as calipers, gauge blocks, micrometers, and dial indicators.
- Visualize and compute dimensions, sizes, shapes, and tolerances of assemblies, based on specifications.
- Set up and operate conventionally or computer numerically controlled machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, and grinders to cut, bore, grind, or otherwise shape parts to prescribed dimensions and finishes.
- File, grind, shim, and adjust different parts to properly fit them together.
- Fit and assemble parts to make, repair, or modify dies, jigs, gauges, and tools, using machine tools and hand tools.
- Conduct test runs with completed tools or dies to ensure that parts meet specifications, making adjustments as necessary.
- Inspect finished dies for smoothness, contour conformity, and defects.
- Smooth and polish flat and contoured surfaces of parts or tools, using scrapers, abrasive stones, files, emery cloths, or power grinders.
- Perform other assignments as directed by your immediate supervisor and/or TTD Leadership.
- Stop production if unsafe parts, actions or poor quality conditions exist
- High School diploma or equivalent through graduation from a technical school is preferred.
- Complete a certified Apprenticeship program whereby the employee can demonstrate experience using various tools, including but not limited to knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Must be able to read and interpret drawings, follow routers, use simple math to perform basic calculations, and use basic hand-held measuring tools.
- Must be able to stand, stoop, kneel, crouch or climb for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to lift/push/pull objects that are up to 50 pounds.
Toledo Tool & Die Company Accountabilities
- Attendance & Payroll: We have a high expectation of our Team Members regarding their attendance; “To be at work every day, on time, as scheduled.” If TTD does not have regular attendance and the best effort of its workforce, it does not get its best results – because you are the most qualified person to do your assigned work.
- Safety: You are responsible to work safely and actively promote safety. This requires that all safety procedures are followed and that personal protective equipment (PPE) be used appropriately at all times. Any unsafe conditions must be reported at once to your immediate supervisor. Toledo Tool & Die places a high priority on safety, but a safe environment can only be achieved through the concern and action of each Team Member.
- Quality: Our reputation for high quality is vital. It has been earned by many years of painstaking care. We take pride in this tradition and in keeping it alive. We recognize our job security depends on customer satisfaction. To achieve the level of customer satisfaction we desire, each Team Member is expected to exceed the customers’ (external and internal) increasing expectations. Quality is essential to keeping customers satisfied. You can do much on your job to uphold our quality standards and ensure our future by following procedures and paying attention to detail. It is the responsibility of each Team Member to strive to provide high-quality products and services to our customers.
- Productivity: Each Team Member is expected to do their best every day by completing their assignments in a timely manner. Doing so will not only help ensure the success of Toledo Tool & Die but will provide you and your fellow Team Members, a higher level of job security and a more positive and productive work environment.
- Commitment: Team Members are to accept accountability for their own actions and commit to helping Toledo Tool & Die to accomplish its business objectives. Accepting personal accountability for assignments, meeting job requirements and respectful behavior is essential to maintaining a positive work environment, meeting our customers’ needs and building a successful organization.
- Good Housekeeping:A clean place is a better place, a safer and more pleasant place in which to work. You are expected to maintain a Five-S Environment (Scrap, Sort, Scrub, Standardize & Systemize). In addition, Team Members are expected to keep the aisles and exits clear; keep the washrooms and eating areas neat, and to throw trash in the containers provided. In short… be a good housekeeper.
- Teamwork: Teamwork is often displayed in little acts of cooperation between individuals and groups. Efficient business functions depend on Team Members working together to achieve our common goals. Only through the cooperation and teamwork of everyone can we achieve the level of customer satisfaction necessary to be a successful organization.
- Change & Innovation: We believe “The Team Member doing the job knows the job best.” Believing such, we expect each Team Member to commit to the continuous improvement of our products and services, work environment and one’s self. This means more than making suggestions, Team Members are encouraged to be part of the problem-solving process at TTD and take responsibility for making things better. Additionally, when new techniques, processes and/or equipment are identified, Team Members are expected to support implementation to help make them successful.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All Toledo Tool & Die employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as business needs dictate.Apply Now